Home Insurance Help Call 020 33 55 4831
A trading style of Platinum Financial Consulting
Get Information and Quotes
Get help finding buildings and contents insurance
Insurance Help Home
About Us
Contact Home Insurance Help
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Buildings Insurance
Contents Insurance
Home Insurance Testimonials
Information Footer
Specialist Insurance
Listed Buildings
Unusual Construction
High Value Possessions
Possessions away from home
Unoccupied Property
Holiday / Second Homes
Business at home
Dangerious Jobs
Request Home Insurance Quotes
Specialist Footer
Policy Declines
IFA's and mortgage brokers
Registered Charities
Webmasters and others
Broker footer
Links and Info
News and Information Blog
Rebuild Calculator
Terms and Conditions
Initial Disclosure
Privacy Policy
FSA Register
Information Footer

In this section we attempt to answer many of the common questions we are continually asked. These questions appear in a list below.

Simply click the question you are interested in and you will be taken to the answer.

If you feel there are other questions that would be of interest to yourself and other customers, please let us know.

Yes - Most household insurers have a strict limit to the number of claims they will allow within a certain period, maybe 3 or 5 years.

If you make too many insurance claims, then your home insurance company may no longer be prepared to insure you. We have insurance companies who specialise in offering household insurance to people with a number of claims.
[Back to Top]
Just asking your household insurance company if you would be covered for a claim, can be counted as a “claim”.

For example, if you call your home insurance company and ask whether you’d be covered on your home insurance if your washing machine flooded your kitchen, even if you never put in a claim for it, some insurers will class this as a claim. They believe it gives an indication of your likelihood to claim.

Also if you do make a claim, but the insurer decides for whatever reason not to pay your claim, then this still counts on your insurance record as a “claim”.

We have specialist home insurers who will consider your application for household insurance, even if you have been turned down elsewhere.
[Back to Top]
Insurance is really there to cover the big disasters that could financially cripple you and not the small mishaps that leave you slightly out of pocket.

This is because most household insurance companies will have strict limits on the number of claims they allow within a certain timescale. If you make too many claims, your home insurer may refuse to renew your insurance.

We will be able to help.
[Back to Top]

You need to seriously consider what would happen to you and your family if the worst was to happen to your home, such as a fire.

If you have a mortgage or other secured lending on your property, it is normally a condition of your mortgage that your home is properly insured. Your mortgage lender will want to ensure that you have a sufficient level of buildings insurance cover, and you are legally obliged to ensure that you have adequate buildings insurance in place.

We can help you find a competitive buildings insurance quote that meets your needs, no matter what your circumstances.

[Back to Top]
Most household insurers will consult databases that keep records of claims, even simple enquiries, whether they're paid or not.

Originally used primarily for fraud detection, home insurers now consult these databases about legitimate claims. The number of claims to trigger non-renewal will vary from insurer to insurer, but it can be as little as two claims over three years.

We have insurers who will consider your application for home insurance, whatever your claims history.
[Back to Top]
The Environment Agency website is working with the Association of British Insurers (ABI) to ensure continued provision of home insurance policies to people in areas prone to the risk of flooding. The link below also includes a Flood Map.


Our specialist insurers offer home insurance cover to people whose homes are liable to flooding.
[Back to Top]
English Heritage will usually insist on a full reinstatement of the property if more than 40% of the historic fabric survives in the event of a disaster, such as fire. You must therefore ensure that your listed building home insurance policy covers the full reinstatement cost (including like for like methods and materials), as well as the rebuilding of the interior, not just the exterior.

Most standard home insurance policies will not include this level of cover, and therefore you need specialist listed building home insurance. We can help provide specialist insurance.
[Back to Top]
The majority of standard insurance companies may not consider offering life insurance if your BMI or Body Mass Index is above a certain level. Each insurer will have a maximum BMI that they will consider. In the UK, people with a BMI between 25 and 30 are categorised as overweight, and those with an index above 30 are categorised as obese.

People with a BMI of 40 or more are described as morbidly obese. We are usually able to obtain Life Insurance for overweight people with a Body Mass Index of up to 55, sometimes higher. We specialise in finding life insurance, critical illness cover, income protection insurance and travel insurance for overweight people. Just give us a call and we can help.
[Back to Top]
The majority of home-based business owners, and people who work from home, assume that their home insurance will also cover their home-based business activities. This is not true – your home-based business activities can actually void your home insurance.

If you use your home to operate a home-based business, or for other purposes that your insurer is not aware of, then this may invalidate your policy. You should ensure that you take out a buildings and contents insurance policy which is specifically aimed at people with a home-based business, and we can help you find an appropriate buildings and contents insurance policy to meet your needs.
[Back to Top]
The responsibility for insuring a property starts the minute you exchange contracts.

If you are buying a property, you should insure the property from the day that contracts are exchanged. If anything happens to the property between the time you exchange contracts and the date you move in, you will be expected to cover the loss.

If you are selling a property, you still have a legal responsibility to look after the property until the sale is completed and you have moved out. You should therefore keep your buildings insurance in place until the sale has completed.

As well as specialist insurance, we also offer “standard” buildings insurance, so please contact us for a quote.

[Back to Top]
Even if your mortgage lender repossesses your property, you are still responsible for it until it is sold.

However, most buildings insurance policies will not cover your property if you are no longer living in it. You should explain the circumstances to your insurer so that they can change the terms of the policy.

If your existing insurer cannot continue cover, please contact us as we offer buildings insurance for properties which are unoccupied.
[Back to Top]
Yes - Most buildings insurance policies will not cover your property if you are away from it for more than 30 days at any one time. This is because when a property is unoccupied, the insurance companies feel that the likelihood of theft or damage can increase.

You can however buy a buildings insurance policy which is specifically for properties which are unoccupied, so please get in touch.
[Back to Top]
Yes – although most standard household insurance policies will not cover your property if it is not occupied on a permanent basis, there are some insurance policies which will cover a property whilst it is unoccupied and being renovated.

We are able to offer a property insurance policy which will cover exactly this scenario.
[Back to Top]
It is usually recommended that a flat or maisonette is insured together with the other flats that make up the block, on a single insurance policy arranged for the whole block. This is sometimes known as a block insurance policy. This is the best option because it avoids complications which may arise if the flats are insured individually, for example, your floor may be someone else’s ceiling. Please get in touch to discuss your situation.
[Back to Top]
Most household contents insurance policies do not include cover for personal possessions away from the home as standard. It is usually an optional extra on your policy, but by taking out this insurance it means that you will then be covered if you take your personal possessions outside of your home. Personal possessions include such items as jewellery, laptops and cameras.

Even if you have a high value of personal possessions which you want to cover outside your home, we can help find an appropriate contents insurance policy for you.
[Back to Top]
Your house contents are anything that you would reasonably take with you if you moved, so for example beds, rugs, clothes, sofas. Your fitted wardrobes or your bathroom suite would not be considered to be your household contents, as you would not normally take them with you. Another way of thinking about it is to imagine picking up your home and shaking it – everything that falls out is considered to be your contents!
[Back to Top]
New for Old means that the insurance company will replace the item you're claiming for with a brand new one of the same make & specification. If your home contents insurance policy has this feature, it will usually applies to all contents claims, apart from claims for clothing or household linen / bedding, where a deduction is normally made for wear and tear.
[Back to Top]
How to get help now !
There are lots of ways to get help and our friendly and efficient team would be pleased to help you.

Whatever you issue we should be able to help. We are certain you will be delighted with our service.
Call home insurance help
call 020 33 55 4831
Our normal working hours are : 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday. If you need any help or information please call the number above and a fully trained member of our team will be happy to help you.
insurance divider
use our on-line form
You can at anytime enter your details into our secure webform. Just click the button below.
Get Home Insurance Help and Quotes
home insurance
Download a quote from
If you prefer to print and send us a paper copy then the link below will open a PDF version of our quote form.
Download printable quote request
Once you have completed the form you can either send it to us at the address at the bottom of this page, or fax it to us on 0871 277 1422.
Get help footer
Criminal conviction Insurance Divider



Home Insurance Help is a trading style of
Platinum Financial Consulting
The Old School House, East End Road
Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex, CM0 7PY

Telephone : 020 33 55 4831            Fax : 0871 277 1422            Email : info@platinumifa.co.uk


Copyright © 2006 & 2012 Platinum Financial Consulting

FCA Registration Number : 227014

Home Insurance Specialists

Home Insurance Surgery Footer